Hi, Welcome to My Abundance Diary Blog.



Friday 28 October 2011

How do You Deal With Disappointment?

Yesterday I went for a very slow and gingerly walk with Megan puppy dog (actually 3 years old - but always a puppy to me!) due to my bottom injury (see Day 1). I was pondering over my disappointment at not being able to go to Salsa or drive to Geneva to continue networking for my coaching business. I know that I don't always deal with disappointment easily and get frustrated at things seemingly not going how I think they should.

I got home and there, sat in my email inbox, was my daily dream builder from Mary Morrissey. This is how it started, "How Do We Deal With Disappointment?" Talk about synchronicity! The rest came as follows:

I remember a time in the airport I was very disappointed that my flight was delayed by several hours.  I wanted very much to go home and see my husband and our kids but engine trouble caused the plane to turn around and come back.  There was a lot of temptation to just be frustrated and whine a bit. 
I bet you have times in your life when you feel exactly the same way.  I was thinking to my spiritual took kit and how I have learned to deal with disappointment in the past.  One of the tools I remembered is to do a blessing list.  Just start paying attention to your blessings.
I felt blessed to have a place I really wanted to get to.  I felt blessed to have people I really wanted to be with.  I was grateful that they noticed the engine trouble while we were still on the tarmac.  My blessing list went on and on. Before long, even though I still would’ve preferred to be home, my whole energy and my whole emotional center was different.  I had changed my energy. 
I don't know if you are dealing with disappointment today or not --But if you are, try what I am suggesting.  If not, put it in your spiritual tool kit and the next time you feel some disappointment, do a blessing list.  You’ll find yourself in a brighter place in no time.  


Despite being flat on my back today, not wanting to move for fear of making this injury worse, it has given me the time to notice what I like to call the magic (some would say coincidence) of the universe. I feel like I have had so many gifts today, in one form or another and my belief in abundance is thus further fuelled!

Watch this video!
Paul Parry thank you for being the provider of this gift and reminder that I am very lucky. Some of you may have seen this video but I dare you to watch it again without the welling up of a tear!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU7w0Z35XEE

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2664

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit that I used to be quite a sulker! Not to the point where I would throw a tantrum but I would shut down and stew. These days I am a much more positive person and try to find the good things out of any situation, even if it does not suit me to begin with. If it's a problem that needs to be resolved I try to find a way around it that was even better than the original plan. My newer way of dealing with disappointing situations definitely contributes to a more positive life for me! :)
    My abundance score for today.........10/10!!! I have my brother home from war, a very special family, a comfortable home and a smile that is beaming from my core. I am a very lucky little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lou, you and me both. I was a real sulker when I was little. They even called me the Queen (although, I'm not sure whether the Queen was a sulker - maybe just her regal air made her look a bit grumpy!?) I am so pleased you have your brother back safe and sound! You have really hit the nail on the head, highlighting that we do have a choice about whether we stay feeling disappointed in the long run or try to look for the good in the situation.
    I can feel your happiness all the way through cyber space, long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete